Tuesday, August 03, 2004

work work work work...

I have been working a lot this week. My boss had a family emergency this week and so I was doing a large chunk of his job for him, plus doing my own. I realized I had actually worked over 80 hours last week as a result.

All of this is unpaid overtime...It supposedly factors into our bonus at the end of the year and we are allowed comp time, but I don't think they would let me take the supposed 8 weeks of comp time I have accumulated.

As for the bonuses, If you figure overtime at time and a half, then I am getting maybe 1/3 of that as a bonus...It's not bad to get at one time, but still, sometimes I feel that I am being taken advantage of because of my work ethic. True, I do have more freedom and responsibility because of it, but that means more work...A double edged sword, you can say.

1 comment:

Lia said...

Hi Jim
Don't be fooled by the nickname, it's Lia writing you. I found your blog, and enjoyed it much. Hope you aren't working still so hard... I can't say the same for me: twelve hours today and more to come :( We have two ministers coming to town back to back, two bodies home sick, a brand new boss and little ole me picking up the slack. Oh the pain. But I'm having a good time anyway, somehow. Luckily like you, I get good overtime. I really enjoyed hanging out with you on Sunday! One of my fondest things is rambling around town on old bikes. Send me an email if/when you get the chance so we can keep in touch, okay?
Bye
P.S. you and my friend Tania and the bloggers I follow faithfully have finally inspired me to start a blog! All I have so far is a ramble about my career path woes. We'll see if I keep it up.