Monday, January 03, 2005

A Commentary on the Director's Cut...

I just watched the director's cut of Daredevil, a movie that which, in the theater, frankly:

SUCKED.

Now, the reason I gave the director's cut even a chance is because:

A. I am a hardcore serious comic book fan nerd-o-rama and feel obligated to support comic based films.

B. I Really dig Daredevil...In a way, he's the redheaded stepchild to Spider-Man, and a character that the editors of comic books always let the writers do whatever to him because he wasn't that popular, and they ended up getting these great stories out of it. As a writer, you could beat the heck out of DD, have his girlfriend sell out his secret ID for a shot of heroin, whatever they wanted to do. I mean it was one of those cases where anything goes and you never really knew that 'Ol Hornhead would make it out all right at the end of the issue, because he was always just one or two readers away from being cancelled.

C. I Heard they had cut 30 minutes from the original film when they released it.

And gosh darnit, the director's cut is a SO MUCH BETTER FILM!
It actually has a story line, character development and evolution, and an almost completely different ending. I cannot believe the powers that be did not release this version of the film. Unlike the LOTR trilogy, it wasn't for time sake (I still need to watch the 5 hour version I got for X-mas) It seems like it was the case of a short sighted producer wanting to make a film that didn't have anything meaningful in it. D'oh!

...Waiting for that Catwoman Director's cut now, maybe the movie's actually good.

No comments: